0. Screen before, default ubunu view, as you can see that we have shortage of vertical space and plenty of horizontal that is wasted and not used - use vertical panel.
1. install DockbarX
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dockbar-main/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install dockbarx
sudo apt-get install dockbarx-themes-extra
2. Make top Panel vertical: right click on it in context menu select "Properties", Orientation = Right.
Right is more preferable as usually users work at left side of screen, and all other should be far and not distracted. Additionally majority of users are right-handed and all tools and switchers should be placed right.
3. Add more laconic "Main menu" to panel, right click over panel, in context menu select "Add", in list select "Main menu". Remove old menu, that is not good for vertical layout(right click over it and "Remove from this panel"). Move new menu to the top, right click over it and select "Move".
4. Change width of panel to 44 pixels.
5. Add to panel new applet "DockbarX", move it up "Main menu" and lock it on panel.
6. Bottom panel could be deleted.
7. Change theme to light. Main Menu -> System -> Preferences -> Appearance. Select "Clear look" theme but change icons to to Humanity in "Customize".
8. Remove "Indicator Applet Session" from right panel - its functional will appear in Main menu.
9. Date-Time should be configured to show only time in "Preferences".
10. System monitor could be added to panel as applet. Background color should be changed to white and length to 20pixels.
11. Enjoy result,and full usage of vertical space of the screen: